Saturday 15 March 2014

Simple Scones

These scones look, smell and taste amazing, yet they are extremely easy to make. This recipe makes plain scones, however you could try adding cheese or fruit to make variations. 

These were my scones just out of the oven

You will need:

225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
55g/2oz butter
25g/1oz caster sugar (I used granulated sugar but it works the same)
150ml/5fl oz milk
1 egg, beaten, to glaze (alternatively use milk - I did!)

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Mix together flour and salt. Rub in the butter (cover butter with flour and rub between your fingers until you make a breadcrumb-like texture)
  3. Stir in the sugar and add the milk to make a soft dough.
  4. Turn onto a floured work surface and lightly knead. Pat or roll out the dough to about 2cm thick.
  5. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to cut out the scones. Knead leftover mixture together, pat out and press shapes again until all the mixture has been used up. (I had a little left at the end so I made it into a tiny tester scone... a good way to use leftover dough!)
  6. Brush each scone with beaten egg or milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until risen golden brown.
  7. Take out to cool and serve with butter and jam, or maybe clotted cream.
Perfect with butter and jam!

The preparation took me about 20 minutes (but that's because I forgot to wash some of the things I needed and kept forgetting to get the right things from the fridge), but it should take about 10 minutes when you are fully prepared! So altogether, the recipe takes about 30 minutes at the most to prepare and bake. 

It's fast, it's cheap and it's very easy to make. I would definitely recommend this recipe for anyone to have a go at, as I can't even think of anything I would change next time.

If you decide to make them, I hope you have fun!



2 comments:

  1. I was actually going to ask you for the scones recipe! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well now you have it! I knew this blog would be helpful in some way or another ;)

      Delete