Friday 16 May 2014

Cheesy Potato and Sausage Casserole

Hello, and apologies for the long break between posts! The past two weeks have been so busy with placement preparation and the last few assignments of the year. But now I'm back with a brand new recipe for you! This will show you how to make cheesy potato and sausage casserole (with a few extra bits). There are slightly more ingredients in this than usual, but it's still cheap and easy!




What I used:

  • 2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled
  • 3 sausages
  • 4 tbsp plain flour
  • 4 tbsp butter (I used Flora light)
  • 200 ml milk
  • Pinch of salt and pepper or herbs
  • A generous sprinkle of grated cheese
  • Cheese sauce (optional)
  • Sweetcorn (optional)

What I did:

  • Cut the potatoes and raw sausages into small chunks. It might be easier to use a serrated knife to do this, or a very sharp one (unlike mine. I've used it so much it's gone blunt.) 
  • Boil the potatoes on a medium-high heat for about 15 minutes. While the potatoes boil, heat some oil or frylight and fry the sausages until they just begin to turn brown. 
  • When the potatoes and the sausages are done, transfer them to a glass roasting dish. Gently toss them about to mix, add the flour, salt, pepper and butter and mix again. (The butter isn't absolutely essential.) At this point I added sweetcorn too.
  • Measure out the milk and pour into the bowl, making sure it forms an even layer. I don't particularly like milk so I was a bit worried about this bit, but once cooked it disappears and makes the casserole nice and creamy!
  • If you want to use cheese sauce to make the recipe extra creamy and cheesy, then make the sauce as normal and pour evenly over the top. I didn't use it on mine as I thought the milk would make it creamy enough for me!
  • Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. After this, take out of the oven and remove the foil. Add the grated cheese, sprinkle with pepper or herbs and put back in the oven for an extra 5 minutes or so until the cheese has melted. 



So there you have it... an easy, creamy casserole for everyone! As with a lot of the recipes I post, this can be altered and experimented with according to your own tastes. You could add veggies such as onion, pepper, etc. Or try it with a different meat like fish, bacon or chicken. You could even swap the milk for stock (vegetable, beef, whatever takes your fancy) and see how that turns out! Have fun with it, make it your own and make sure to tell me how it works - I'd love to hear from you!

Tweet a picture to @minimcwitch
Or email minimcwitch@gmail.com







No comments:

Post a Comment